- Civil Case Files (U.S. District Court for the Richmond Division of the Eastern District of Virginia)
- Margaret Smith et al. v. King George County School Board and Benton T. Gayle, Division Superintendent, et al.
- Date of Original:
Segregation in education
- United States, Virginia, City of Richmond, 37.55376, -77.46026
United States, Virginia, King George County, 38.27374, -77.15651
- civil court records
- This file unit contains photographs, correspondences, memoranda, and legal administrative materials pertaining to the U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, Richmond Division Civil Case File, Margaret Smith et al. v. The King George County School Board and Benton T. Gayle, Division Superintendent. The plaintiff's, represented by NAACP lawyers Spottswood W. Robinson III, Oliver W. Hill, and Martin A. Martin, made the claim that the King George County Training School, the school designated for African American students, was of significantly lesser quality and resources than the King George School for white students, which is in violation of the "separate but equal" doctrine and that the differences in resource allocations between the schools was discrimination. Other schools featured within the case file include Shiloh Elementary School, Madison Elementary School and Lamb's Creek Elementary.
- Local Identifier:
- Metadata URL:
- Original Collection:
- Record Group 21: Records of District Courts of the United States, 1685 - 2009, Civil Case Files, 1938 - 12/31/1998
- Contributing Institution:
- United States. National Archives and Records Administration. National Archives at Philadelphia