- Civil Case Files (U.S. District Court for the Richmond Division of the Eastern District of Virginia)
- Dorothy E. Davis, et al. v. County School Board of Prince Edward County et al.
- Date of Original:
- Brown, Oliver, 1918-1961--Trials, litigation, etc.
Davis, Dorothy E.--Trials, litigation, etc.
- United States, Virginia, Prince Edward County, 37.2243, -78.44108
- civil court records
- This file unit consists of case filings from Dorothy E. Davis et al. v. County School Board of Prince Edward County et al. Initiated by a student protest, this case challenged racial segregation in Prince Edward County, Virginia schools. In the spring of 1952, a three-judge U.S. District Court decided in favor of the school board and upheld segregation. On appeal, the case made it to the Supreme Court of the United States and was decided along with three other school segregation cases from South Carolina, Delaware, and Kansas, in Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka.
- Local Identifier:
- Metadata URL:
- Original Collection:
- Record Group 21: Records of District Courts of the United States, 1685 - 2009, Civil Case Files, 1938 - 12/31/1998
- Contributing Institution:
- United States. National Archives and Records Administration. National Archives at Philadelphia