- Sovereignty Commission Online
- Director's report -- December 1963
- Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission
- from Director's Report -- December 1963, Sovereignty Commission records, Mississippi Department of Archives and History
- Date of Original:
- Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission--Officials and employees
Segregation in education--Mississippi
Jasper County (Miss.)--Race relations
Mutual Association of Colored People South
- United States, District of Columbia, Washington, 38.89511, -77.03637
United States, Mississippi, Jasper County, 32.01911, -89.11886
- Records collected by the Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission for the December 1963 Director's report. According to records in the file, the monthly commission meeting was canceled by the governor, so the report was sent by mail to commission members. The file contains a summary of the commission's activities for the month, a budgetary summary, and a memorandum about the situation in Jasper County. According to a note in the report and the memorandum, an African American woman whose sons were legally considered white was trying to enroll her children in the white school in Jasper County. School officials in Jasper County objected to sending the children of an African American woman to a white school, but the memorandum and the report both note that if the boys attended the African American school it would be considered school integration which might lead to reprisals from African American families. The memorandum about the situation includes a genealogical chart for the woman. The report also notes that Reverend M. L. Young of the Mutual Association of Colored People South had plans to take a petition with five thousand African American signatures in support of separate but equal treatment to Washington, D.C. to protest proposed Civil Rights legislation. It also outlined Sovereignty Commission publicity and recommended retaining the services of John Satterfield and the Coordinating Committee for Fundamental American Freedoms through February and documented efforts to have Dr. James Silver removed from his position at the University of Mississippi.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- The Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records are state government records made available to the public pursuant to American Civil Liberties Union v. Fordice, 969 F.Supp. 403 (S.D.Miss.1994). The web-enabled version of the Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records is intended for public use in research, teaching, and private study in accordance with the provisions of the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). MDAH makes no warranty or assurances that materials contained in this collection are free from U.S. copyright claims or other restrictions on free use and display. It is the user's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or distributing materials found in this collection. MDAH requests that prior to publication of Sov. Com. images the user submit an MDAH Broadcast/Publication Permission form for approval by the Department. This form must be accompanied by documentation which proves that copyright requirements have been satisfied. Contact MDAH Reference Staff for details on how to obtain and complete the B/PP form: (601) 576 6876 or firstname.lastname@example.org. There are no MDAH Use Fees associated with use of Sov. Com. images. MDAH asks that each image used in a presentation, display, or publication be accompanied by a credit line, which at a minimum includes the name of this collection, the unique resource identifier for each image, the name of this institution, and URL. ; Cite images according to the following structure: Original Creator, "Title", Original creation date (if known), Unique Resource Identifier, Series Number and Title, Archival Repository, date of last web page revision, image location/URL, (image viewed on date).
- Contributing Institution:
- Mississippi. Department of Archives and History