- Sovereignty Commission Online
- Director's report -- July 1963
- Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission
- from Director's Report -- July 1963, Sovereignty Commission records, Mississippi Department of Archives and History
- Date of Original:
- Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission--Officials and employees
Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission
Mississippi--Race relations--History--20th century
Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission--Appropriations and expenditures
United States. Civil Rights Act of 1964
Oxford, U.S.A. (Motion picture)
- Johnston, Erle
Barnett, Ross R. (Ross Robert), 1898-1987
Satterfield, John C.
- United States, Mississippi, 32.75041, -89.75036
- Report issued by the director of the Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission in July 1963. Activities of the commission included in the report include plans to oppose Civil Rights legislation; details about distribution of a pamphlet analyzing a 1883 Supreme Court decision nullifying a public accommodations law; distribution of the pamphlet "In Unity There Is Strength"; publicity campaign showing the film "Oxford, U.S.A." in Northern communities; personnel matters; a report by John Satterfield and recommendations on compensation for his work; budget for the upcoming fiscal year; and plans to contribute book on the theories and future of Mississippi governor Ross Barnett. Two copies of the report are included in the file. The file also contains a detailed budget for the commission's work in the upcoming year, a letter from attorney John Satterfield about work to defeat proposed Civil Rights legislation, details of previous months' budget, and a memorandum of the preparation to fight the proposed Civil Rights legislation and another detailing agreements to cooperate with other Southern states.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- The Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records are state government records made available to the public pursuant to American Civil Liberties Union v. Fordice, 969 F.Supp. 403 (S.D.Miss.1994). The web-enabled version of the Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records is intended for public use in research, teaching, and private study in accordance with the provisions of the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). MDAH makes no warranty or assurances that materials contained in this collection are free from U.S. copyright claims or other restrictions on free use and display. It is the user's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or distributing materials found in this collection. MDAH requests that prior to publication of Sov. Com. images the user submit an MDAH Broadcast/Publication Permission form for approval by the Department. This form must be accompanied by documentation which proves that copyright requirements have been satisfied. Contact MDAH Reference Staff for details on how to obtain and complete the B/PP form: (601) 576 6876 or firstname.lastname@example.org. There are no MDAH Use Fees associated with use of Sov. Com. images. MDAH asks that each image used in a presentation, display, or publication be accompanied by a credit line, which at a minimum includes the name of this collection, the unique resource identifier for each image, the name of this institution, and URL. ; Cite images according to the following structure: Original Creator, "Title", Original creation date (if known), Unique Resource Identifier, Series Number and Title, Archival Repository, date of last web page revision, image location/URL, (image viewed on date).
- Contributing Institution:
- Mississippi. Department of Archives and History