- Sovereignty Commission Online
- Correspondence -- congressional delegation
- Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission
- from Correspondence -- Congressional Delegation, Sovereignty Commission records, Mississippi Department of Archives and History
- Date of Original:
- Civil rights movements--Mississippi
Mississippi--Race relations--History--20th century
African Americans--Civil rights--Mississippi
United States. Civil Rights Act of 1957
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- United States, District of Columbia, Washington, 38.89511, -77.03637
United States, Mississippi, 32.75041, -89.75036
- letters (correspondence)
- Records collected by the Mississippi Sovereignty Commission consisting of correspondence with members of congress from Mississippi and those involved with the 1957 Civil Rights Act. The file includes letters, notes of telephone messages, and telegrams. Most of the correspondence is with members of the Mississippi congressional delegation seeking to arrange a meeting with the Mississippi Sovereignty Commission on July 16, September 5, or November 14, 1956. It is unclear if the meeting ever took place. The rest of the correspondence is with Senators Thomas C. Hennings of Missouri and Everett Dirksen of Illinois countering claims made about African American civil rights in Mississippi by Roy Wilkins of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) during testimony before their committee. The committee worked on the legislation that became the 1957 Civil Rights Act.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- The Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records are state government records made available to the public pursuant to American Civil Liberties Union v. Fordice, 969 F.Supp. 403 (S.D.Miss.1994). The web-enabled version of the Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records is intended for public use in research, teaching, and private study in accordance with the provisions of the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). MDAH makes no warranty or assurances that materials contained in this collection are free from U.S. copyright claims or other restrictions on free use and display. It is the user's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or distributing materials found in this collection. MDAH requests that prior to publication of Sov. Com. images the user submit an MDAH Broadcast/Publication Permission form for approval by the Department. This form must be accompanied by documentation which proves that copyright requirements have been satisfied. Contact MDAH Reference Staff for details on how to obtain and complete the B/PP form: (601) 576 6876 or firstname.lastname@example.org. There are no MDAH Use Fees associated with use of Sov. Com. images. MDAH asks that each image used in a presentation, display, or publication be accompanied by a credit line, which at a minimum includes the name of this collection, the unique resource identifier for each image, the name of this institution, and URL. ; Cite images according to the following structure: Original Creator, "Title", Original creation date (if known), Unique Resource Identifier, Series Number and Title, Archival Repository, date of last web page revision, image location/URL, (image viewed on date).
- Contributing Institution:
- Mississippi. Department of Archives and History