- Sovereignty Commission Online
- New York Herald Tribune
- Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission
- from New York Herald Tribune, Sovereignty Commission records, Mississippi Department of Archives and History
- Date of Original:
Mississippi--Race relations--History--20th century
New York herald tribune
Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission--Officials and employees
- United States, Mississippi, 32.75041, -89.75036
United States, New York, 43.00035, -75.4999
- letters (correspondence)
- Records collected by the Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission on a May 1963 letter to the editor and response from Erle Johnston of the Commission. In early May, a letter was published in the New York Herald Tribune with the title "Desegregation is a grass-roots problem." Erle Johnston, director of the commission, wrote a response to that letter that was published with the title "Forced integration will fail." The file contains copies of both letters as well as correspondence with the New York Herald Tribune editor and newspaper readers.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- The Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records are state government records made available to the public pursuant to American Civil Liberties Union v. Fordice, 969 F.Supp. 403 (S.D.Miss.1994). The web-enabled version of the Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records is intended for public use in research, teaching, and private study in accordance with the provisions of the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). MDAH makes no warranty or assurances that materials contained in this collection are free from U.S. copyright claims or other restrictions on free use and display. It is the user's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or distributing materials found in this collection. MDAH requests that prior to publication of Sov. Com. images the user submit an MDAH Broadcast/Publication Permission form for approval by the Department. This form must be accompanied by documentation which proves that copyright requirements have been satisfied. Contact MDAH Reference Staff for details on how to obtain and complete the B/PP form: (601) 576 6876 or firstname.lastname@example.org. There are no MDAH Use Fees associated with use of Sov. Com. images. MDAH asks that each image used in a presentation, display, or publication be accompanied by a credit line, which at a minimum includes the name of this collection, the unique resource identifier for each image, the name of this institution, and URL. ; Cite images according to the following structure: Original Creator, "Title", Original creation date (if known), Unique Resource Identifier, Series Number and Title, Archival Repository, date of last web page revision, image location/URL, (image viewed on date).
- Contributing Institution:
- Mississippi. Department of Archives and History