- Sovereignty Commission Online
- A. J. Barnett
- Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission
- from A. J. Barnett, Sovereignty Commission records, Mississippi Department of Archives and History
- Date of Original:
- African American men--Mississippi--Hattiesburg
Criminal records--Mississippi--Forrest County
- Jones, Albert N.
Jones, Albert N.--Correspondence
Barnett, A. J.
- United States, Mississippi, Forrest County, 31.18887, -89.25786
United States, Mississippi, Forrest County, Hattiesburg, 31.32712, -89.29034
- application forms
- Records collected by the Mississippi Sovereignty Commission on A. J. Barnett, an eighty-five year-old retired African American man living in Hattiesburg, Forrest County, Mississippi. Barnett's July 7, 1960 to become a notary public in Forrest County triggered an investigation by the Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission. Letters back from the sheriff's office and clerk of court indicate that Barnett was a property owner in Hattiesburg, did not have a criminal record, did have a judgement against him of nearly seven dollars, and was not a registered voter in the county. A report by commission director Albert Jones to the office of governor Ross Barnett indicates A. J. Barnett was not eligible to be a notary public because he was not a registered voter.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- The Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records are state government records made available to the public pursuant to American Civil Liberties Union v. Fordice, 969 F.Supp. 403 (S.D.Miss.1994). The web-enabled version of the Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records is intended for public use in research, teaching, and private study in accordance with the provisions of the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). MDAH makes no warranty or assurances that materials contained in this collection are free from U.S. copyright claims or other restrictions on free use and display. It is the user's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or distributing materials found in this collection. MDAH requests that prior to publication of Sov. Com. images the user submit an MDAH Broadcast/Publication Permission form for approval by the Department. This form must be accompanied by documentation which proves that copyright requirements have been satisfied. Contact MDAH Reference Staff for details on how to obtain and complete the B/PP form: (601) 576 6876 or firstname.lastname@example.org. There are no MDAH Use Fees associated with use of Sov. Com. images. MDAH asks that each image used in a presentation, display, or publication be accompanied by a credit line, which at a minimum includes the name of this collection, the unique resource identifier for each image, the name of this institution, and URL. ; Cite images according to the following structure: Original Creator, "Title", Original creation date (if known), Unique Resource Identifier, Series Number and Title, Archival Repository, date of last web page revision, image location/URL, (image viewed on date).
- Contributing Institution:
- Mississippi. Department of Archives and History