- Sovereignty Commission Online
- Warren H. McKenna
- Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission
- from Warren H. McKenna, Sovereignty Commission records, Mississippi Department of Archives and History
- Date of Original:
- Civil rights movements--Mississippi
Civil rights workers--Mississippi
Mississippi--Race relations--History--20th century
Delta Ministry of Mississippi
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America
- McKenna, Warren H.
- United States, 39.76, -98.5
United States, Mississippi, 32.75041, -89.75036
- Records collected by the Mississippi Sovereignty Commission on reverend Warren H. McKenna, an Episcopal minister. McKenna took a group of forty-one youth to "Red China" in 1957 over the objections of the United States Department of State. In 1965 he was hired by the National Council of Churches to work as part of the Delta Ministry, the group's Mississippi Civil Rights action group. The file on McKenna contains newspaper articles about his work and alleged communist activities and reports and listings of his subversive connections.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Metadata URL:
- Rights Holder:
- The Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records are state government records made available to the public pursuant to American Civil Liberties Union v. Fordice, 969 F.Supp. 403 (S.D.Miss.1994). The web-enabled version of the Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records is intended for public use in research, teaching, and private study in accordance with the provisions of the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). MDAH makes no warranty or assurances that materials contained in this collection are free from U.S. copyright claims or other restrictions on free use and display. It is the user's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or distributing materials found in this collection. MDAH requests that prior to publication of Sov. Com. images the user submit an MDAH Broadcast/Publication Permission form for approval by the Department. This form must be accompanied by documentation which proves that copyright requirements have been satisfied. Contact MDAH Reference Staff for details on how to obtain and complete the B/PP form: (601) 576 6876 or email@example.com. There are no MDAH Use Fees associated with use of Sov. Com. images. MDAH asks that each image used in a presentation, display, or publication be accompanied by a credit line, which at a minimum includes the name of this collection, the unique resource identifier for each image, the name of this institution, and URL. ; Cite images according to the following structure: Original Creator, "Title", Original creation date (if known), Unique Resource Identifier, Series Number and Title, Archival Repository, date of last web page revision, image location/URL, (image viewed on date).
- Contributing Institution:
- Mississippi. Department of Archives and History