- Moncrief photograph collection
- March, King, April 8, 1968
- Moncrief, Winfred H., 1923-
- Date of Original:
- Civil rights demonstrations--Mississippi--Hattiesburg
Hattiesburg (Miss.)--History--20th century
Civil rights workers--Mississippi--Hattiesburg
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968--Assassination
King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968--Death and burial
- United States, Mississippi, Forrest County, 31.18887, -89.25786
United States, Mississippi, Forrest County, Hattiesburg, 31.32712, -89.29034
- black-and-white photographs
- April 8, 1968, Hattiesburg (Miss.) march in memory of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., four days after his death. According to a Hattiesburg American article that day, approximately 1,500 marchers started at East Sixth and Mobile Streets, stopped at City Hall for a prayer service, continued to the Forrest County courthouse for a silent prayer, then returned to East Sixth and Mobile Streets. The march coincided with a weeklong boycott of schools and white-owned businesses and a 3-day work stoppage.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- The electronic files in the Moncrief Photograph Collection are intended for public use in research, teaching, and private study in accordance with the provisions of the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Any use beyond that prescribed by Fair Use requires the permission of the copyright holder, the Mississippi Department of Archives and History. In addition, MDAH asks that each image used in a presentation, display, or publication be accompanied by a credit line that gives the name of this collection, the unique ID #, the name of this institution, and URL, according to the following formula: Moncrief Photograph Collection, ID #, Mississippi Department of Archives & History, [http://www.mdah.state.ms.us]
- Original Collection:
- Moncrief (Winfred) Photograph Collection, Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Jackson, Mississippi.
- Contributing Institution:
- Mississippi. Department of Archives and History