- Moncrief photograph collection
- Smith, C. E. NAACP house, Feb 20, 1968
- Moncrief, Winfred H., 1923-
- Date of Original:
- African American civil rights workers--Crimes against--Mississippi--Hattiesburg
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People--Mississippi--Hattiesburg
African Americans--Mississippi--Social conditions--20th century
Offenses against property--Mississippi--Hattiesburg
Hattiesburg (Miss.)--Race relations--20th century
- Smith, C. E.
Smith, C. E.--Homes and haunts
- United States, Mississippi, Forrest County, 31.18887, -89.25786
United States, Mississippi, Forrest County, Hattiesburg, 31.32712, -89.29034
- black-and-white photographs
- Dr. C. E. Smith, president of the Forrest County chapter of the NAACP, looks out a front window of his Breland Ave. (Hattiesburg, Miss.) residence damaged by gunshots around 3:00 a.m. February 20, 1968. According to a Hattiesburg American story that day, the window "was broken by double-O slugs which then cut through a wall into the kitchen." Dr. Smith, his wife, and three children slept through the attack and were not injured.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- The electronic files in the Moncrief Photograph Collection are intended for public use in research, teaching, and private study in accordance with the provisions of the Fair Use clause of the United States Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Any use beyond that prescribed by Fair Use requires the permission of the copyright holder, the Mississippi Department of Archives and History. In addition, MDAH asks that each image used in a presentation, display, or publication be accompanied by a credit line that gives the name of this collection, the unique ID #, the name of this institution, and URL, according to the following formula: Moncrief Photograph Collection, ID #, Mississippi Department of Archives & History, [http://www.mdah.state.ms.us]
- Original Collection:
- Moncrief (Winfred) Photograph Collection, Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Jackson, Mississippi.
- Contributing Institution:
- Mississippi. Department of Archives and History