Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Alabama Media Group Collection
- Journalist Richard Valeriani talking on the telephone from his hospital bed in Selma, Alabama, after he was injured during a civil rights demonstration in Marion.
- Martin, Spider
- Montgomery, Ala. : Alabama. Department of Archives and History
- Date of Original:
- Civil rights demonstrations
Dallas County (Ala.)
- Valeriani, Richard
- United States, Alabama, 32.75041, -86.75026
- negatives (photographs)
- Valeriani was hit in the head while covering the demonstration, during which Jimmie Lee Jackson was shot. Jackson's subsequent death on February 26 led to "Bloody Sunday," an attempted voting rights march from Selma to Montgomery during which peaceful demonstrators were attacked by law enforcement officers.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Additional Rights Information:
- Copyright, Alabama Department of Archives and History. Donated by the Alabama Media Group, http://www.alabamamediagroup.com
- Original Collection:
- Birmingham News
Alabama Media Group
Alabama Media Group Collection
- Contributing Institution:
- Alabama. Department of Archives and History