Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Alabama Media Group Collection
- African Americans on the steps of Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery, Alabama, probably preparing to march to the Capitol in protest of local segregation laws.
- Self, Tom
- Montgomery, Ala. : Alabama. Department of Archives and History
- Date of Original:
- African Americans--Civil rights
Civil rights demonstrations
Montgomery County (Ala.)
- Mann, Floyd H., 1920-1996
- United States, Alabama, 32.75041, -86.75026
- negatives (photographs)
- The building is surrounded by firemen and law enforcement officers, including Floyd Mann, director of Public Safety (in the foreground on the right, wearing a light coat and dark hat). Reverend Ralph Abernathy led the demonstration, which was planned to show support for the Alabama State College students involved in lunch counter sit-ins. A crowd of 4,000 white protestors gathered to prevent the march, which ended in violence and retreat.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Additional Rights Information:
- Copyright, Alabama Department of Archives and History. Donated by the Alabama Media Group, http://www.alabamamediagroup.com
- Original Collection:
- Birmingham News
Alabama Media Group
Alabama Media Group Collection
- Contributing Institution:
- Alabama. Department of Archives and History