Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Alabama Media Group Collection
- Demonstrators marching toward the Jefferson County Courthouse in downtown Birmingham, Alabama, for a voter registration rally.
- Farmer, John
- Montgomery, Ala. : Alabama. Department of Archives and History
- Date of Original:
- African Americans--Civil rights
Civil rights demonstrations
Jefferson County (Ala.)
- Owens, Ben, 1914-
Williams, Hosea, 1926-2000
- United States, Alabama, 32.75041, -86.75026
- negatives (photographs)
- Marchers are carrying signs that read, "If I Could Go 6 Days a Week to Register Wallace Would Go, Too" (work by Ben "Sunshine" Owens); "No Elections Are Free Until We Are Free to Register and Vote"; and "We Invite the Registrar to Come to Our Neighborhood and Get to Work!" The 1965-1966 Birmingham voter registration campaign advocated for increased registration hours at the county courthouse and registration in local neighborhoods.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Additional Rights Information:
- Copyright, Alabama Department of Archives and History. Donated by the Alabama Media Group, http://www.alabamamediagroup.com
- Original Collection:
- Birmingham News
Alabama Media Group
Alabama Media Group Collection
- Contributing Institution:
- Alabama. Department of Archives and History