Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Alabama Media Group Collection
- Two African American men in a segregated line at a counter, possibly at a jail in Birmingham, Alabama.
- Jones, Ed
- Montgomery, Ala. : Alabama. Department of Archives and History
- Date of Original:
- African Americans--Civil rights
Jefferson County (Ala.)
- Shuttlesworth, Fred L., 1922-2011
- United States, Alabama, 32.75041, -86.75026
- negatives (photographs)
- A sign above the barred window at the counter reads, "Warden on Duty." The man at the front of the line might be Fred Shuttlesworth, who was arrested on October 21, 1958, for inciting others to challenge a Birmingham Transit Authority segregated seating law.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Additional Rights Information:
- Copyright, Alabama Department of Archives and History. Donated by the Alabama Media Group, http://www.alabamamediagroup.com
- Original Collection:
- Birmingham News
Alabama Media Group
Alabama Media Group Collection
- Contributing Institution:
- Alabama. Department of Archives and History