Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Alabama Media Group Collection
- Shelly Millender Jr., a student from Miles College in Birmingham, Alabama, requesting a library card at the Birmingham Public Library.
- Montgomery, Ala. : Alabama. Department of Archives and History
- Date of Original:
- African Americans--Civil rights
Jefferson County (Ala.)
- Cohn, Adele
Kendrick, Carolyn Faye
Millender, Shelly, d. 2021
- United States, Alabama, 32.75041, -86.75026
- The library employees (left to right) are Adele Cohn, Martha Miles, Eva Yates, and Carolyn Faye Kendrick (seated). The student was representing the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. This effort by the SCLC was the first organized attempt to desegregate a municipal facility. The library voted to desegregate later that day.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Additional Rights Information:
- Copyright, Alabama Department of Archives and History. Donated by the Alabama Media Group, http://www.alabamamediagroup.com
- Original Collection:
- Birmingham News
Alabama Media Group
Alabama Media Group Collection
- Contributing Institution:
- Alabama. Department of Archives and History