Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Alabama Media Group Collection
- Effigy of an African American hanging outside of Woodlawn High School in Birmingham, Alabama, in reaction to an integration attempt.
- Hardin, Ernest
- Montgomery, Ala. : Alabama Department of Archives and History
- Date of Original:
- Civil rights demonstrations
White supremacy movements
Jefferson County (Ala.)
- United States, Alabama, 32.75041, -86.75026
- Two other photographs of the effigy were published in the Birmingham News on September 10, 1957, with the following caption: "Teen-agers hang effigies of Negroes at Woodlawn High School in night demonstration . . . Negro leaders had promised to try to enroll children there this morning."
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Contributing Institution:
- Alabama. Department of Archives and History