Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Alabama Media Group Collection
- Parents and students gathered outside the federal building in downtown Birmingham, Alabama, before marching to protest school integration.
- Northrop, John
- Montgomery, Ala. : Alabama. Department of Archives and History
- Date of Original:
- Civil rights demonstrations
White supremacy movements
Jefferson County (Ala.)
- United States, Alabama, 32.75041, -86.75026
- negatives (photographs)
- They are holding signs that read, "Freedom / Freedom / Freedom / Freedom of Choice" and "[Down] With HEW"; another sign features a foot stomping on the word "Communism" and a "Freedom of Choice / My God Given Right" bumper sticker. ("HEW" refers to the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare.) The march started at the federal building and ended at Woodrow Wilson Park.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Additional Rights Information:
- Copyright, Alabama Department of Archives and History. Donated by the Alabama Media Group, http://www.alabamamediagroup.com
- Original Collection:
- Birmingham News
Alabama Media Group
Alabama Media Group Collection
- Contributing Institution:
- Alabama. Department of Archives and History