Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Alabama Media Group Collection
- James Meredith being interviewed outside the Peabody Hotel in Memphis, Tennessee, at the start of his March Against Fear.
- Metz, George
- Montgomery, Ala. : Alabama. Department of Archives and History
- Date of Original:
- African Americans--Civil rights
Civil rights demonstrations
- Meredith, James, 1933-
- United States, Alabama, 32.75041, -86.75026
- negatives (photographs)
- He was shot the second day of his demonstration, but the leaders of several civil rights organizations decided to continue the 220-mile march to Jackson, Mississippi. Meredith was able to rejoin the effort on June 25 and spoke at the final rally in front of the state capitol.
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Additional Rights Information:
- Copyright, Alabama Department of Archives and History. Donated by the Alabama Media Group, http://www.alabamamediagroup.com
- Original Collection:
- Birmingham News
Alabama Media Group
Alabama Media Group Collection
- Contributing Institution:
- Alabama. Department of Archives and History