Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Alabama Media Group Collection
- Thomas Gilmore at a gubernatorial campaign rally for John Patterson in Eutaw, Alabama.
- Lankford, Tom
- Montgomery, Ala. : Alabama. Department of Archives and History
- Date of Original:
- African Americans--Civil rights
African Americans--Political activity
Greene County (Ala.)
- Gilmore, Thomas
- United States, Alabama, 32.75041, -86.75026
- negatives (photographs)
- Gilmore, a local civil rights leader, was a candidate for Greene County sheriff in 1966. Though he lost that election, he won in 1970 and served in the position until 1983. He was the first African American sheriff of Greene County and the second African American sheriff in the state (after Lucius Amerson of Macon County, who was elected in 1966).
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Additional Rights Information:
- Copyright, Alabama Department of Archives and History. Donated by the Alabama Media Group, http://www.alabamamediagroup.com
- Original Collection:
- Birmingham News
Alabama Media Group
Alabama Media Group Collection
- Contributing Institution:
- Alabama. Department of Archives and History