Copy the below HTML to embed this viewer into your website.
- Alabama Photographs and Pictures Collection
- "Alabama Troops Avert Threatened Lynching."
- Montgomery, Ala. : Alabama Department of Archives and History
- Date of Original:
- Alabama. National Guard
African Americans--Civil rights
Scottsboro Trial, Scottsboro, Ala., 1931
- Montgomery, Olen, 1914-
Norris, Clarence, 1912-1989
Patterson, Haywood, 1912-
Powell, Ozie, 1914-
Roberson, Willie, b.1913
Weems, Charlie, 1911-
Williams, Eugene, 1917-
Wright, Andy, 1912-
Wright, Leroy, 1918-1959
- United States, Alabama, Jackson County, Scottsboro, 34.67231, -86.03415
- "Threats of a wholesale lynching of nine young negroes charged with criminally attacking two white girls were calmed when the Alabama national guard was called out to guard the jail at Scottsboro. The girls, accompanied by a half-brother of one of them, were hoboing their way back from Chattanooga where they had been in search of work when the young negro hoboes attacked them in a box car. The prisoners, who face the death penalty under Alabama law, are shown here under guard."
- Metadata URL:
- IIIF manifest:
- Additional Rights Information:
- This material may be protected under U. S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S. Code) which governs the making of photocopies or reproductions of copyrighted materials. You may use the digitized material for private study, scholarship, or research. Though ADAH has physical ownership of the material in its collections, in some cases we may not own the copyright to the material. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in our collections.
- Original Collection:
- The Huntsville Daily Times
- Contributing Institution:
- Alabama. Department of Archives and History