- Civil rights films from USC's moving image research collections
- Civil Rights demonstrations in Orangeburg--outtakes
- Columbia, S.C. : University of South Carolina. Moving Image Research Collections
- Date of Original:
- Civil rights demonstrations
South Carolina. Law Enforcement Division
South Carolina State University
- McDew, Charles
- United States, South Carolina, Orangeburg County, 33.43899, -80.8003
United States, South Carolina, Orangeburg County, Orangeburg, 33.49182, -80.85565
- motion pictures (visual works)
- Students from South Carolina State College (University) and Claflin College (University), along with area activists, march through the streets of Orangeburg. Charles "Chuck" McDew, who became chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) in 1961, speaks with Pete Strom (chief of South Carolina Law Enforcement Division) and law enforcement officials. Among the images captured is what appears to be an attempt to disrupt the demonstration by an elderly white man; a struggle with police officers ensues. At one point during the altercation, a gun falls onto the sidewalk.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- Copyright University of South Carolina. All rights reserved.
- Film: 16mm. Silent. B&W. Reversal: positive. 1.37:1 (Academy). Silent. Acetate.
- Original Collection:
- Civil Rights Films from Moving Image Research Collections
- Contributing Institution:
- University of South Carolina. South Carolina Political Collections
University of South Carolina. Moving Image Research Collections