- Civil rights films from USC's moving image research collections
- Charleston hospital strike--outtakes
- Columbia, S.C. : University of South Carolina. Moving Image Research Collections
- Date of Original:
- Strikes and lockouts
Medical University of South Carolina
Southern Christian Leadership Conference
- Abernathy, Ralph, 1926-1990
King, Coretta Scott, 1927-2006
- United States, South Carolina, Charleston County, 32.74917, -79.94202
United States, South Carolina, Charleston County, Charleston, 32.77657, -79.93092
- motion pictures (visual works)
- Footage of demonstrations during the Charleston hospital strike. Southern Christian Leadership Conference president Ralph Abernathy speaks to a crowd, including police officers. Protesters singing and marching, shots of what appear to be demonstrators being arrested. US Army National Guard soldiers with bayonets affixed to rifles. Abernathy walks with the crowd. US Army tank on street. Police officer explaining the presence of the soldiers, citing tensions at previous rallies and the need for sufficient manpower, and that the demonstrators lack a parade permit. Officer claims presence of the Guard will not increase tension. Demonstrators for Union Local 1199 walk down street. Soldiers put on gas masks and block the road while a police officer speaks through bullhorn explaining that a parade or march is not allowed without a parade application. Man states his support for the Board of Trustees and the governor in their handling of the dispute. Coretta Scott King speaks to audience about going to jail while wearing a medical union 1199 hat.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- Copyright Moving Image Research Collections. All rights reserved. For further information please contact University of South Carolina, Moving Image Research Collections, Columbia, SC 29208.
- Film: 16mm. Silent and sound. Color. Reversal: positive. 1.37:1 (Academy). Magnetic. Acetate.
- Original Collection:
- Civil Rights Films from Moving Image Research Collections
- Contributing Institution:
- University of South Carolina. South Carolina Political Collections
University of South Carolina. Moving Image Research Collections