African American clergyman, civil rights worker, and Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party candidate for James Eastland's senate seat in 1966. In the Democratic Party primary, Whitley won more votes than Eastland in Claiborne and Jefferson County. Whitley ran as an independent candidate during the general election.
Archival Collections and Reference Resources
- Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive (University of Southern Mississippi Libraries)
- Freedom summer digital collection (Wisconsin Historical Society)
- Lipsky--Holly Springs, Mississippi (Michael Lipsky and David J. Olson Papers, 1935-1981; Z: Accessions, M96-024, Box 1, Folder 1) (Newsletters)
- MFDP--Proceedings of the Democratic National Convention Credentials Committee (partial), 1964 August 22 (Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party records, 1962-1971; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 586, Box 1, Folder 9) (Transcripts)
- Moore--NAACP Cleveland Mississippi Branch Voter Registration Committee, 1959-1968 (Amzie Moore papers,1 1941-1970; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 551, Box 6 Folder 6) (Fliers (printed matter))
- James W. Silver Collection (John Davis Williams Library (University of Mississippi))