African American clergyman, civil rights worker, and Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party candidate for James Eastland's senate seat in 1966. In the Democratic Party primary, Whitley won more votes than Eastland in Claiborne and Jefferson County. Whitley ran as an independent candidate during the general election.
Archival Collections and Reference Resources
- Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive (University of Southern Mississippi Libraries)
- Freedom summer digital collection (Wisconsin Historical Society)
- Lipsky--Holly Springs, 1964-1966 (Michael Lipsky and David J. Olson papers, 1935-1981; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 851, Box 1, Folder 5) (Correspondence)
- MFDP--Legal briefs and memoranda, 1964-1966 (Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party records, 1962-1971; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 586, Box 1, Folder 10) (Legal documents)
- Moore--Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party, 1962-1966 (Amzie Moore papers, 1941-1970; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 551, Box 5 Folder 3) (Memorandums)
- Walker--WATS Line reports 1964-1965 (Samuel Walker papers, 1964-1966; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 655, Box 1, Folder 4) (Reports)