While a student at the University of Michigan, Peter Werner of Flint, Michigan taught in the Freedom School at True Light Baptist Church in Hattiesburg, Mississippi in 1964. On July 20, 1964, Werner was attacked outside a Hattiesburg drug store.
Archival Collections and Reference Resources
- Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive (University of Southern Mississippi Libraries)
- Freedom summer digital collection (Wisconsin Historical Society)
- King--July, 1964 WATS Line Calls (Mary E. King papers , 1962-1999; Z: Accessions, M82-445, Box 1, Folder 8) (Reports)
- King--Mississippi Summer Project, miscellaneous files (Mary E. King papers , 1962-1999; Z: Accessions, M82-445, Box 1, Folder 21) (Reports)
- SAVF-Council of Federated Organizations (COFO) papers (Social Action vertical file, circa 1930-2002; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 577, Box 16, Folder 6) (Pamphlets)