McKenna, Warren H.
Warren H. McKenna was an activist Episcopal priest who graduated from the Episcopal Theological Seminary in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1943. In 1950 while serving in Boston's largest African American neighborhood at St. John's Church in Roxbury, McKenna and Robert Muir, a former classmate, founded the Workers of the Common Life. The two men were forced out of the parish because of claims that the two had communist ties. During Freedom Summer, McKenna, based in Jackson, Mississippi, was charged with orientation of Northern volunteers. In the fall of 1967, he was hired by the National Council of Churches to head up the group's Mississippi civil rights action group, the "Delta Ministry." The Mississippi Sovereignty Commission maintained a file on his work.
Archival Collections and Reference Resources
- Freedom summer digital collection (Wisconsin Historical Society)
- Beech--Ministers' Project volunteers' reports, August 20-December, 1964 (Robert Beech Papers, 1963-1972; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 945, Box 6, Folder 7) (Reports)
- CORE--Civil Rights organizations other than CORE or SNCC - Correspondence, 1964-1965 (Congress of Racial Equality. Mississippi 4th Congressional District records, 1961-1966; Historical Society Library Microforms Room, Micro 793, Reel 1, Segment 7) (Correspondence)
- CORE--Community center correspondence, Jackson COFO Office, 1964 July-1965 May (Congress of Racial Equality. Mississippi 4th Congressional District records, 1961-1966; Historical Society Library Microforms Room, Micro 793, Reel 1, Segment 9) (Correspondence)
- Heinze--Frederick W. Heinze papers, 1964-1987; SC3051; WIHVC1480H500-A; (Pamphlets)
- Lipsky--Holly Springs, Mississippi (Michael Lipsky and David J. Olson Papers, 1935-1981; Z: Accessions, M96-024, Box 1, Folder 1) (Newsletters)
- Montgomery--Poor People's Corporation (Lucile Montgomery papers, 1963-1967; Historical Society Library Microforms Room, Micro 44, Reel 2, Segment 37) (Reports)
- Moore--Correspondence, 1965-1966 (Amzie Moore papers, 1941-1970; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 551, Box 1 Folder 6) (Correspondence)
- SAVF-Council of Federated Organizations (COFO) papers (Social Action vertical file, circa 1930-2002; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 577, Box 16, Folder 6) (Pamphlets)
- Stromquist--Mississippi Freedom Project background information, 1964 (Shelton Stromquist papers, 1963-1978; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 641, Box 1, Folder 3) (Clippings (information artifacts))
- Young--Medical Committee on Human Rights reports, 1964-1965, 1967, undated (Quentin Young papers, 1964-1975; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 880, Box 4, Folder 12) (Reports)
- Series 2515 : Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records Online, 1994-2006, Folders (Mississippi Department of Archives and History)