A white former Argenta policeman who killed a black musician, Wiley Shelby, on September 11, 1906, in Argenta, AR. This event began a series of events that sparked a race riot in Argenta.
Archival Collections and Reference Resources
- Freedom summer digital collection (Wisconsin Historical Society)
- Freedom Information Service--WATS reports, January 1964-June 1964 (Freedom Information Service records, 1962-1979; Historical Society Library Microforms Room, Micro 780, Reel 1, Segment 1-4) (Reports)
- SEDFRE--Community Center Fundraising, Finances and Sponsors, 1964-1965 (Scholarship, Education and Defense Fund for Racial Equality records, 1944-1976; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 546, Box 1, Folder 15) (Correspondence)
- Zinn--Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee papers, administration, 1963-1965 (Howard Zinn papers, 1956-1994; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 588, Box 2, Folder 11) (Correspondence)
- WSB-TV Newsfilm Collection (Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection)