McCray, John Henry, 1910-1987
John Henry McCray was an African American journalist and newspaper editor. He worked with the South Carolina Lighthouse and Informer; the Charleston Messenger; the Pittsburgh Courier as the Carolina editor; the Baltimore Afro-American; the Chicago Defender, and the Atlanta World.
Archival Collections and Reference Resources
- Rev. Joseph A. DeLaine Papers ca. 1918-2000 (University of South Carolina)
- Letter, 1957 May 26, (Columbia, S.C.), John H. McCray, to Joseph A. DeLaine, Sr., [Buffalo, N.Y.] (Letters (correspondence))
- Letter, 1961 Dec. 11, (Columbia, S.C.), John H. McCray, to Joseph A. DeLaine, Sr., (Hollis, Long Island, N.Y.) (Letters (correspondence))
- Photograph, 1951 June 17, (Clarendon County, S.C.), E.E. Richburg, Modjeska Simkins, J.W. Seals, Joseph A. DeLaine, Sr., Harry Briggs, John McCray, Flutie Boyd, James Hinton, and Eugene Montgomery (Black-and-white photographs)
- William Gravely Oral History Collection on the Lynching of Willie Earle (University of South Carolina)