Lucy, Autherine, 1930-
In 1956 after a three-year court battle, Autherine Lucy became the first African American to enroll at the University of Alabama. However, after three days of rioting, the university suspended her for her own protection; she was later expelled after her lawyers accused university officials of conspiring with the rioters.
Archival Collections and Reference Resources
- Alabama Media Group Collection (Alabama Department of Archives and History)
- Encyclopedia of Alabama (Encyclopedia of Alabama)
- Rev. Joseph A. DeLaine Papers ca. 1918-2000 (University of South Carolina)
- Southern school news (University of Georgia Libraries)
- With an Even Hand: Brown vs. Board at Fifty (Library of Congress)