Kunstler, William Moses, 1919-
William Moses Kunstler (July 7, 1919 - September 4, 1995) was a U.S. lawyer and civil rights activist. The son of a physician, Kunstler was born in New York City, and educated at Yale and Columbia Universities. Kunstler served in the U.S. Army during World War II in the Pacific theater, attaining the rank of Major. He was admitted to the bar in New York in 1948 and began practicing law. He was an associate professor of law at New York Law School (1950-1951) and at Pace University (1951-1963) and lectured at the New School for Social Research (1966-1971).
He was a director of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) from 1964 to 1972, when he became a member of the ACLU National Council. In 1969 he cofounded the Center for Constitutional Rights. Kunstler also worked with the National Lawyers Guild.
Kunstler died in New York of a heart attack at the age of 76.
Archival Collections and Reference Resources
- Freedom Riders' 40th Anniversary Oral History Project, 2001 (University of Mississippi Libraries)
- Freedom summer digital collection (Wisconsin Historical Society)
- Council of Federated Organizations--Records (Z: Accessions, M79-423) (Minutes (administrative records))
- Goodman--News releases, newsletters, and miscellaneous publications, 1964-1965 (Carolyn Goodman Papers, 1964-2000; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 192, Box 1, Folder 1) (Legal documents)
- King--June 1964 WATS Line calls (Mary E. King papers , 1962-1999; Archives Main Stacks, Z: Accessions M82-445, Box 1, Folder 7) (Reports)
- King--Minutest of Meetings, 1964-1965 (Mary E. King papers , 1962-1999; Archives Main Stacks, Z: Accessions M82-445, Box 3, Folder 2) (Minutes (administrative records))
- King--SNCC Position Papers, Waveland, Mississippi, meeting, November 1964 (Mary E. King papers , 1962-1999; Z: Accessions, M82-445, Box 1, Folder 18) (Reports)
- SAVF-Council of Federated Organizations (COFO) papers (Social Action vertical file, circa 1930-2002; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 577, Box 15, Folder 1) (Reports)
- SEDFRE--Legal Department files, COFO, Rita Schwerner, et al. vs. Rainey, L. C., et al., Jackson, Mississippi, 1964 (Deaths of COFO workers) (Scholarship, Education and Defense Fund for Racial Equality records, 1944-1976; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 546, Box 45, Folder 5) (Legal documents)
- WSB-TV Newsfilm Collection (Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection)