Higgs, William L.
Higgs was a lawyer and civil rights activist working in Mississippi in the early 1960s. Along with three other individuals, Higgs brought a lawsuit against the Mississippi Sovereignty Commission. -- Federal Law and Southern Order: Racial Violence and Constitutional Conflict in the Post-Brown South, 1987.
Archival Collections and Reference Resources
- Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive (University of Southern Mississippi Libraries)
- Freedom summer digital collection (Wisconsin Historical Society)
- Kinoy--Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party, 1964-1965 (Arthur Kinoy papers, circa 1930-2003; Z: Accessions, M2007-010, Box 5 Folder 44) (Legal documents)
- MFDP--General papers, 1963-1965, part 2 (Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party records, 1962-1971; Historical Society Library Microforms Room, Micro 788, Reel 1, Segment 2, Part 2) (Memorandums)
- MFDP--Legal briefs and memoranda, 1964-1966 (Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party records, 1962-1971; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 586, Box 1, Folder 10) (Legal documents)
- Montgomery--Mississippi: Wednesdays in Mississippi (Lucile Montgomery papers, 1963-1967; Historical Society Library Microforms Room, Micro 44, Reel 2, Segment 27) (Reports)
- Park--Robert W. Park papers, 1964-1966; Archives Main Stacks SC658 (Correspondence)
- SAVF-Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) (Social Action vertical file, circa 1930-2002; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 577, Box 47, Folder 2) (Reports)
- SEDFRE--Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party Congressional Challenge, 1964-1965 (Scholarship, Education and Defense Fund for Racial Equality records, 1944-1976; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 546, Box 32 Folder 25) (Legal documents)
- Series 2515 : Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records Online, 1994-2006, Photographs (Mississippi Department of Archives and History)
- Letter: Atlanta, Georgia, to James A. Dombrowski, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1962 June 5 (Letters (correspondence))
- Letter: to Jim Dombrowski, 1963 July 19 (Letters (correspondence))
- Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission photograph of William L. Higgs, Jackson, Mississippi, 1962 July 5 (Black-and-white photographs)