Casey Hayden (born Sandra Cason), white woman, National YWCA project worker, SDS and SNCC activist, and wife of Tom Hayden, served as the observer with the eight Freedom Riders who rode by train from Atlanta to Albany on December 10, 1961. She was not arrested when the others were arrested. Hayden had been involved in the 1960 National Student YWCA and Austin sit-ins.
Archival Collections and Reference Resources
- Anne Braden Oral History Project (Kentucky Virtual Library)
- Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive (University of Southern Mississippi Libraries)
- Eyes on the Prize Interviews (Washington University in St. Louis University Libraries)
- Freedom Riders' 40th Anniversary Oral History Project, 2001 (University of Mississippi Libraries)
- WSB-TV Newsfilm Collection (Walter J. Brown Media Archives and Peabody Awards Collection)