Social activist, president of Students for a Democratic Society from 1963 to 1964, sociologist, and educator. A graduate of Harvard University (mathematics), the University of Michigan (political science), and the University of California, Berkeley (sociology). Gitlin was coordinator of the SDS Peace Research and Education Project from 1964 to 1965. Gitlin has taught sociology and journalism at the University of California, Berkeley, New York University, and Columbia University.
Archival Collections and Reference Resources
- Freedom summer digital collection (Wisconsin Historical Society)
- King--Pre-1964 WATS Line calls (Mary E. King papers , 1962-1999; Archives Main Stacks, Z: Accessions M82-445, Box 1, Folder 1) (reports)
- Montgomery--Lucile Montgomery general correspondence, 1964-1966 (Lucile Montgomery papers, 1963-1967; Historical Society Library Microforms Room, Micro 44, Reel 2, Segment 31b) (correspondence)
- Shirah--Civil rights material, 1961-1964, undated (Samuel C. Shirah, Jr., papers, 1961-1964; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 540, Box 1, Folder 2) (reports)
- Shirah--Correspondence and memos, 1961, 1963-1964, undated (Samuel C. Shirah, Jr., papers, 1961-1964; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 540, Box 1, Folder 3) (correspondence)