Social activist, president of Students for a Democratic Society from 1963 to 1964, sociologist, and educator. A graduate of Harvard University (mathematics), the University of Michigan (political science), and the University of California, Berkeley (sociology). Gitlin was coordinator of the SDS Peace Research and Education Project from 1964 to 1965. Gitlin has taught sociology and journalism at the University of California, Berkeley, New York University, and Columbia University.
Archival Collections and Reference Resources
- Freedom summer digital collection (Wisconsin Historical Society)
- King--SNCC Communications Section (Mary E. King papers , 1962-1999; Z: Accessions, M82-445, Box 1, Folder 14) (Reports)
- King--SNCC Press Releases, 1963 & undated (Mary E. King papers , 1962-1999; Archives Main Stacks, Z: Accessions M82-445, Box 1, Folder 12) (Press releases)
- Shirah--Proposals, prospectuses, and reports, re: SSOC, SCEF, Louisville (Kentucky) Projects, White Southern Student Project, and Other Organizations, 1962-1964, undated (Samuel C. Shirah, Jr., papers, 1961-1964; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 540, Box 1, Folder 5) (Reports)
- Shirah--Reports, 1963-1964 (Samuel C. Shirah, Jr., papers, 1961-1964; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 540, Box 1, Folder 6) (Reports)