Diamond, Dion Tyrone, 1941-
Nineteen-year old Petersburg, Virgina resident and Howard University student, Diamond rode a Greyhound bus from Montgomery, Alabama to Jackson, Mississippi as part of a May 24, 1961 Freedom Ride. He was arrested the following day in Jackson for his involvement. He helped found NAG and served as a SNCC field secretary in Louisiana and Mississippi from 1961 to 1963.
Archival Collections and Reference Resources
- Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive (University of Southern Mississippi Libraries)
- Individuals Active in Civil Disturbances, volume 2 (Alabama Department of Archives and History)
- Series 2515 : Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records Online, 1994-2006, Photographs (Mississippi Department of Archives and History)
- Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission photograph of Dion Tyrone Diamond following his arrest for his participation in the Freedom Rides, Jackson, Mississippi, 1961 May 25 (Black-and-white photographs)
- Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission photograph of Dion Tyrone Diamond following his arrest in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 1962 February 1 (Black-and-white photographs)