Leader of CORE's operations in Mississippi and Louisiana, COFO's assistant project director, and speaker at the funeral of James Chaney, Dennis rode a Trailways bus from Montgomery, Alabama to Jackson, Mississippi as a Freedom Rider on May 21, 1961. He also participated in an effort to desegregate the Shreveport, Louisiana Trailways terminal on August 4, 1961.
Archival Collections and Reference Resources
- Civil Rights in Mississippi Digital Archive (University of Southern Mississippi Libraries)
- Eyes on the Prize Interviews (Washington University in St. Louis University Libraries)
- Freedom Riders' 40th Anniversary Oral History Project, 2001 (University of Mississippi Libraries)
- Individuals Active in Civil Disturbances, volume 2 (Alabama Department of Archives and History)
- Series 2515 : Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records Online, 1994-2006, Photographs (Mississippi Department of Archives and History)