Dorothy Dawson had previously worked with Constance Curry and the National Student Association, and was currently working with William Higgs on a civil rights project in Washington, was when she was recommended for involvement with the Southern Conference Education Fund by Anne Braden in 1963.
Archival Collections and Reference Resources
- Freedom summer digital collection (Wisconsin Historical Society)
- King--SNCC Communications Section, 1963-1964 (Mary E. King papers , 1962-1999; Z: Accessions, M82-445, Box 3, Folder 1) (Reports)
- Montgomery--Mississippi: Wednesdays in Mississippi (Lucile Montgomery papers, 1963-1967; Historical Society Library Microforms Room, Micro 44, Reel 2, Segment 27) (Reports)
- Shirah--Correspondence and memos, 1961, 1963-1964, undated (Samuel C. Shirah, Jr., papers, 1961-1964; Archives Main Stacks, Mss 540, Box 1, Folder 3) (Correspondence)
- Series 2515 : Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission Records Online, 1994-2006, Photographs (Mississippi Department of Archives and History)