|Click here to view the item|
|Creator:||United States Commission on Civil Rights. Wisconsin Advisory Committee|
|Title:||Impact of school desegregation in Milwaukee public schools on quality education for minorities-- 15 years later|
The NAACP in Milwaukee initiated school desegregation as a legal issue in 1965, setting off a decade long legal struggle to integrate public schools. In January of 1976, Federal Judge John Reynolds ruled that Milwaukee Public Schools were segregated unlawfully. In response, the Wisconsin Legislature enacted a program to aid in the implementation and promotion of integration in Milwaukee schools. The plan was approved by Judge Reynolds in 1979. Fifteen years later, the Wisconsin Advisory Committee began studying the effects of the desegregation program and its impact on the quality of education received by Milwaukee students.
The Civil Rights Digital Library received support from a National Leadership Grant for Libraries awarded to the University of Georgia by the Institute of Museum and Library Services for the aggregation and enhancement of partner metadata.
|Subjects:||School integration--Wisconsin--Milwaukee | Public schools--Wisconsin--Milwaukee | Educational change--Wisconsin--Milwaukee | Race discrimination--Wisconsin--Milwaukee | African Americans--Civil rights--Wisconsin--Milwaukee | Milwaukee (Wis.) | Milwaukee County (Wis.)|
|Collection:||Turning Points in Wisconsin History|
|Institution:||Wisconsin Historical Society|
|Contributors:||Wisconsin Historical Society|
|Online Publisher:||[Madison, Wis.] : Wisconsin Historical Society | 2005|
36 p. ; 30 cm.
|Rights and Usage:|
"Impact of school desegregation in Milwaukee Public Schools on quality education for minorities... 15 years later." (Washington, D.C.? : The Commission, 1992); online facsimile at http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/turningpoints/search.asp?id=1100
Copyright 2005 by the Wisconsin Historical Society (Madison, Wisconsin)
Forms part of the Turning points collection (Wisconsin Historical Society)
|Persistent Link to Item:||http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/u?/tp,11962|