|Click here to view the item|
|Title:||[Photograph of dedication ceremonies of Thomas J. Elder High School, Sandersville, Washington County, Georgia, 1959 May 24]|
Sandersville, May 24, 1959. Ceremonies dedicating the Thomas J. Elder High School located on Hines Street. This school originally served black students but was later integrated. The school had first been founded as the Sandersville Industrial School. In 1932 it was renamed in honor of Mr. Elder who was the first principal. These ceremonies took place in the school cafeteria. Front row, left to right: Mrs. Lillie B. Dix, M. C. Smith, W. B. Ouzts, Doctor Alphonso Elder, Reverend Gilbert Dean, D. L. Thomas (principal), Mrs. Dorothy Thomas, Mrs. Gladys Rice.
|Subjects:||Segregation in education--Georgia--Sandersville | High schools--Georgia--Sandersville | African Americans--Georgia--Sandersville | Women--Georgia--Sandersville | Education--Georgia--Sandersville | Special events--Georgia--Sandersville | Interior architecture--Georgia--Sandersville | Sandersville (Ga.) | Washington County (Ga.)|
|Institution:||Digital Library of Georgia|
|Rights and Usage:|
Held by Georgia Archives, 5800 Jonesboro Road, Morrow, GA 30260.
Contact repository re: reproduction and usage.
|Persistent Link to Item:||http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/vang/id:was287|