|Click here to view the item|
|Title:||[Photograph of Dorchester Academy buildings, Thebes community, Georgia, 1927]|
Thebes community, 1927. Dorchester Academy buildings located on Georgia Hwy. 38 between McIntosh and Midway.
2003/07/03: Dorchester Academy was opened by the American Missionary Association after the Civil War to educate newly freed slaves. It was both a boarding school and a day school. It was closed in 1940 after a consolidated public school for African American youth was built by Liberty County. It is now a community center. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. often visited the center and prepared for the 1963 Birmingham civil rights campaign while at Dorchester Academy.
|Subjects:||Schools--Georgia | African Americans--Georgia | Architecture--Georgia | Education--Georgia | Georgia|
|Collection:||Institution:||Digital Library of Georgia||Contributors:||Georgia Archives||Online Publisher:||2004||Rights and Usage:|
Held by Georgia Archives, 5800 Jonesboro Road, Morrow, GA 30260.
Contact repository re: reproduction and usage.
|Persistent Link to Item:||http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/vang/id:lib092|